Home Recording Studio Hacks for Home Producers

Home Recording Studio

Many producers are choosing to create a home studio for themselves today due to the convenience of working without having to travel. This is helping them dedicate as much time as they can on their projects while staying at home. The only problem with a home studio is that if you want to record something, you will fail to achieve the best quality. Since the home walls are built with the same quality a studio requires, it can create a lot of disturbance to your recorded vocals or instruments. This is why producers have to book sessions in the studio again and again to collect their vocals. Still, many artists prefer to record their vocals at home with what they have. If you are recording a project at home and want the vocals to be clear, natural, and room treated, these hacks will help you out.

Treat your room

Treat your room

No matter how silent your room is, it is suggested that you take the help of an expert to detect the areas that require treatment. You will need a place in your room where you can record without catching any noise or reverb. If you have a multipurpose room, you will have to make a little sacrifice on the looks of your room to get the most out of your room treatment. The better your room is treated, the better your performance will be.

Invest in a solid mic chain

If you want to create a radio-ready sound, you need a solid mic chain that can help you record the best vocals for mixing. Mixing is only 20% of making your audio seem good. The rest 80% is your vocal recordings. It will take time to build your home recording gear, but having a mic chain is worth your first expense for home recording.

Get a pair of closed-back headphones

Get a pair of closed-back headphones

For recording vocals, you definitely need the closed-back headphones to realize if you can hear yourself and the track cleanly. Open-backed headphones are good for listening to music, but they are ineffective during recording sessions. The less your headphones will bleed, the better it will be for your recordings to record clean audio. Open-backed headphones can leak the audio and get it recorded on top of your vocals in a highly sensitive condenser mic.

Learn the basics of vocal mic technique

A typical distance between a mic and a singer involves 6-12 inches of space. It is the cardioid in the polar pattern for a condenser mic. If you are not recording in a professional studio or do not have a great home recording studio, the cardioid method will work the best for you. You may also want to change your position based on the type of vocal effect you are planning. If your room sounds great and you want to record a loud vocal, try stepping a little away from the mic. Make sure that you understand the angles for cardioid mic positions so you can minimize sibilance, which will help you in mixing your audio better.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *